Saturday, June 11, 2011

New toys.

I have been thinking lately (isn't that a title to a song?) about how our life would differ if we had stayed in the U.S. instead of moving to Ecuador. I think we would have just continued on the path we were on. Barbara would have kept teaching and putting up with the politics of a large University and I am not certain what I would be doing with real estate not coming back. I guess I would be losing my butt speculating. The thing that worries me the most is how bad the economy and politics have gotten in the last year in the U.S.. There really is no hope that the U.S. will recover to the way it was anytime in the near future and that bothers me. Sure, we are okay, living the life and doing whatever, whenever without weather constraints or rising gas prices but what are you folks in the U.S. going to do? How much waiting for a better day can you stand? On the coldest day of winter, when you think about how nice it would be to be in a warm climate, I am the guy who is there. On the hottest day of summer, when you wish for cooler weather, I'm there. When you have to cut into savings or the kids' educational trust funds because the cost of living keeps going up, wouldn't it be nice to have a steady lower cost of living? I am there. When you are on a fixed income and the CPI raises at an annual rate of 13%, how do you make ends meet?  The problem with all this is I feel guilty about it. I write about how great life is here and you guys are dealing with what will only become worse.

Well there it is, I've said my piece, now on with the show.

New toys for my projects. Since I haven't had any luck getting the transformer set at the place in La Paz, I'll have to provide my own power for a while - life goes on.

3000 watt generator with 6.5 h.p. motor - $225.
Angle grinder                                         - $30.
Circular saw (Black&Decker)                - $74 with 3 carbide tipped blades.

Tomorrow I will go to Coral and pick up a stick welder - about $80.

Next week I should get the front gate welded up and installed and do some work on the drainage for the driveway - at least check the flow rate. I'll post again in about 5 or 6 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment