Friday, December 9, 2011

Glass blocks.

Since Barb won't be teaching anymore after next semester she is becoming more interested in things outside of academia. She is learning about position trading on the stock market and has discovered glass blocks, the kind used in buildings. I am holding my breath.

I saw a program segment on TV the other day about the health benefits of red wine. The only thing I know about wine is that it is made from grapes - moonshine is a different matter, I've been distilling spirits since I was 12 years old. At any rate today I figured I'd give red wine a try. We are already at Coral, Barb is exploring the world of glass blocks - they have wine here. There is a bunch of different names I guess for a bunch of different types of both red and white wines, it's a little too complicated for me. For all I know if you take grape juice and mix it with grain alcohol in the proportion to get a 12% alcohol level won't that be close to wine ?  Barb says it's a good thing I'm not trying to fly a plane. She can't help me because she doesn't drink. Okay, so I am in the wine section of Coral and can't  figure it out so I head to the boxed wine and pick out a nice $2 box of red wine. Now I am not totally inept, I grew up in the Catholic Church but they make the wine taste bad so you won't drink a bunch of it at Communion, don't they ? I know the answer  to that question. This stuff isn't very good, who drinks this stuff, are you sure they use grapes to make it, is the church getting a share of the profits ??? I guess this is what I get for trying something from the milder, more civilized side of life.

Now I know there has to be some wine out there that is palatable and that there are a lot of nice folks who would gladly straighten me out about wine selection. I am not of the intellect to be a wine connoisseur, what I like is double distilled corn liquor that takes your breath away before it passes your lips.

2 comments:

  1. Wine is the life blood is many a man. In south America I recommend a nice medoc from Argentina, or some of the excellent Chilean varieties.

    Cheers, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sit here tonight dab in the middle of Northern California's wine country, on the border of Napa and Sonoma Counties, and I too, know nothing about wine. Given the choice between a glass of wine and a bottle of beer, I'll take the bottle. Given the choice between a bottle of beer and a pour of whiskey I'll take the whiskey...and the beer.

    I'm joined tonight with a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon, 90 proof. Wouldn't think of trading if for 12% grape juice, but that's just me.

    Would love to see some details on distilling corn alcohol...all I know is yeast eats sugar and sh#ts alcohol, care to fill in the blanks?

    Mike

    ReplyDelete