Monday, May 30, 2011

More lumber.

I needed to strip more lumber for the door on that little brick building in La Paz. So off to the lumber yard and to my surprise, I got a bonus. I bought 2 cants - one with 3 boards and one with 2 boards.
Those 2 red boards are red mahogany

When the guy pulled them from the stack I told him they were mahogany, he said to take them for the same price. I gave him a little extra for them so now he will save mahogany for me. I asked the guy at the hardware store across the street about it and he confirmed it was illegal but that it happens all the time.

The door will just be a rough "Z" braced door, just enough to keep a mountain lion from wanting to see what I taste like in the middle of the night.
After cutting the boards to length and getting the best fit I could, there are still some pretty big gaps between boards. Well I sold all my tools when I moved to Ecuador so no planner, joiner or table saw any one of which can be used to straighten the edge on a board. I do have a brand new circular saw though. One of the few benefits of being old is that you may have learned a thing or two in your life time.Arrange the boards to best fit - as above. Attach them to stringers perpendicular to the boards, set the blade depth on the saw to the board thickness and run the saw down the joints of the boards where they are closer together than a blade width. Take the boards lose, cleanup the edges, arrange the boards again and continue the process until you have a tight fit.
It works pretty good when you have only a minimum of tools to work with.
It took 3 passes to get a pretty good fit on this door blank. The lumber is about 25% moisture so when it dries it will shrink some but the gaps will be even and easy to put battens on. This is the kind of door you would find in a barn or on an outhouse. Cost $19.

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying your posts and looking forward to following your progress. I've been a carpenter, here in the States, most of my life. It's going to be fun watching your projects come together.
    My wife and I are also considering retiring in Ecuador, still a couple of years off though. Mike

    ReplyDelete